Taking care of ourselves is often the last thing on our minds, though we all generally know that it’s more important than ever. We have to meet that deadline, use break time to run errands, accomplish all the items on our list. We all know the negative impact on our health that stress can have—so, let’s find some balance. Take this self-quiz to see how well you are caring for yourself.
1. When I’m upset and/or feeling hopeless, I talk about the situation with a friend, family member or therapist. And if I need help, I ask for it.
2. I let go of the way things used to be. I accept the way things are.
3. Every day I do something physical even if it’s just a walk around the block or a 15-minute workout.
4. I eat healthfully and take the time to enjoy my meals. I set aside work, driving and other activities while I eat.
5. I think positively. I view problems as opportunities and obstacles as challenges.
6. I can say no when I need or want to.
7. I remember to breathe.
8. If I’m experiencing physical symptoms, I go to the appropriate health care professional. I don’t panic about the symptoms, and I don’t deny them either.
9. I can settle for “good enough.” I don’t demand perfection in everything that I do.
10. I recognize the value of working in different gears. Some tasks require less effort. That saves energy for those times when I need to push myself.
11. I get enough sleep most nights.
12. I value my personal relationships and give them the time and energy they need and deserve.
13. I choose healthy ways to relieve stress. I don’t rely on crutch- es such as smoking, drinking and overeating.
14. I recognize the importance of breaks during the day, as well as vacations.
15. I listen to and respect my feelings.
If you answered false to several of these, you may want to take an honest look at the impact your choices may be having. Please do not hesitate to call if you would like support in taking better care of yourself.